Monday, May 22, 2017

Timeline of a speedpaint - part 8


This is an interesting stage of the speedpaint, because I know I want to add something more, something "human" that we can connect with, but I'm not sure what yet. At this stage what I DO know is that I want to push some of the background further back - once again, using atmospheric perspective to do so, while still finalizing details here and there.


One extra detail that I wanted was a couple extra streams of water falling, one from the main structure, and one just below it and to the left. This helps diversify the colours a bit more in this spot, and spreads the values around just a little more.


Next, I wanted to refine this spiral shape even more. I pinched it in on both sides, to try and refine the shape and make it more interesting than the rather blocky form it had. I also add yet another layer of stone features in the empty spots of sky, just to keep things of a fairly uniform density.


To the foreground stones, both on the left hand side and the cliffs to the right, I add some rim lighting, which helps to make them pop a little against the scenery behind them. The spire on the left here got some extra attention, taking it from a boring, straight vertical line to a rather curvy, interesting form. I'm always looking for interesting forms like this when I paint, and if I can accentuate them, I like to do so. It adds some nice variety to the shapes, and a bit more visual interest.


The final step is to add a faint layer of red to everything in the distance, pushing it further back. This might seem odd, but I know I want to add something eye catching as a feature in the foreground - at this point, I was trying to decide between some sort of flying vehicle and a human figure - and reducing the contrast of the backdrop is a good preparation, knowing that I want my foreground object to stand out the most. Next time we visit this scene, I'll be roughly choosing where and what I'm going to add for this foreground feature!

No comments: